View Single Post
Old 06-12-2018, 09:58 AM
Resident Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by decojoe67 View Post
How do you feel it's justified that the 621TS that sold for nearly $1K 20 years ago, then was going up to $2K about 10 or so years ago is worth less now than an excellent working Pilot TV-37 for which there is a zillion of them around? I don't get that an early art-deco historic TV with a cabinet designed by a prominent Industrial designer, John Vassos, is valued so low. I'm perplexed how this set fell from grace.
I don't think the set has "fallen from grace". I know a collector who just spent $600 on one, and another one sold on an auction for $550 or so recently.

I just happened to nab this one for $220 (well, $298 after taxes and the buyer's premium) because the eBay live auctions feature was glitchy. The ONLY reason I won it for that price is because I had bid well in advance, otherwise I would have missed out on it too.

Now why aren't they bringing pre-2008 levels anymore? Well, it's 2018! It will be a long, long time before you see the really high levels of decades past. The market for collectibles is still very sluggish.

The other, larger reason, is that the 621TS just isn't a rare set. There were 17,000 built by most estimates. Imagine that only 0.5% of all 621TS sets built survive today. That's 85 sets. Now imagine a more realistic number, say 4% of all sets built. That's 680 sets floating around out there. There are enough of these sets around for any collector that seriously wants one to have one. Supply and demand has to count for something...