View Single Post
Old 01-31-2016, 09:35 PM
VideoKarma Member

Philco Safari Vertical Linearity issue

Hello, everyone,

I took a break from working on my Philco Safari, but really want to get it working correctly. I know it's close, but can't get the vertical linearity correct (or anywhere near, really). Approximately the bottom half of the image is scrunched into a white line (at best). The top half of the image is visible but a bit stretched. When I adjust the vertical linearity and height controls, the only way I can see the bottom of the image is if it is folded over and upside-down.

I replaced all the resistors and electrolytic capacitors. I think I may have made a mistake on a value of one of the resistors. I'm hoping one of you may be able to point me at least in the right direction. I checked the values against the SAMS, and can't find the mistake....but that doesn't mean much - may be mental fatigue.

Here is a video of how the TV behaves:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOphfPjS2JQ

The TV is receiving a signal from a blonder tongue modulator transmitting a signal to the whip antenna. I have a variable power supply hooked to the battery terminals of the TV. At the beginning of the video, the TV is running on low voltage (4.3vdc), and you can see the whole image. However, as the voltage goes up to the operating voltage (~7.5vdc), the bottom half of the image gets squeezed and folded over. I try to adjust the controls at voltage, but there is no way to correct it. As the voltage is turned down at the end of the video, you can see the bottom of the image reappearing.

Thank you guys for your help. I'll post some schematics of the sweep circuits from the SAMs I have soon. I suspect it's an incorrect resistor value, because all the capacitors have been checked about 20 times. lol

Last edited by goat1981; 03-25-2016 at 09:03 PM.