Thread: Signal sources?
View Single Post
Old 06-05-2018, 05:18 PM
Resident Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbates14 View Post
I use the crap out of amazon prime, hulu, etc.. So I wonder if maybe a Raspberry Pi with Kodi or something along those lines would work out.

And then there are android TV boxes I can plug into the modulator. Then the TV box/modulator doesn't have to be in the same room as I can then control the TV via my phone, or etc. Same thing with Kodi on the Pi.

OOhh. that gave me an idea. I could make a small little relay gizmo for the TV to turn it off an on as well from my phone. Or maybe chinamart has one. But eh.

Hm... thats a thought. Thanks for all the insight.
I stream all my content over my home network. You clearly thought along the same lines I did. My current setup uses two RPis, one with the burst off, one with it on. Monochrome is on four, color on two. The color box has an optically coupled relay which is connected to a color roundie, the monochrome box an identical relay connected to a black and white set (currently a 630 clone).

When not in use, the B/W box shows a WWJ-TV test pattern from the 40s, and the color box shows color bars.

I have a small app I wrote for my tablet. I select a program. It determines if it is B/W or color, streams it to the appropriate box, and then turns on either the color set or the B/W set. There's a two minute delay where the pattern or bars are still shown to give the set time to warm. At the end of the program there's another two minute delay with a pattern or bars. If I fail to select another program, the set in question is shut off.

I went to all this trouble because I have a tendency to fall asleep in front of the TV and don't want a vintage set to run until I wake up hours later.

The only major caution I can give regarding relays is to NOT use a latching type. Somehow one of my 630s was turned on while I was away (bug in my code?), and the latching relay failed in the closed circuit position. No harm was done to the set, but it's scary to come home to a 70 year old television running after being away for a long weekend. I went to a cheap optically coupled type and haven't looked back.