Thread: 11 Meters
View Single Post
Old 08-22-2020, 01:24 PM
<----Zenith C845

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Ahhh I just got my antenna back up (Imax 2000) a few weeks ago after many years after the whip was blown off and man has it got quiet!!! (When no skip is in)

I like to put it on 27.185 @ night and just listen,its peaceful..... You hear faint truckers on the highway now and then but nothing too loud...... Its nice when trying to sleep!!!

Anyone else like 11??
Eleven meters is all but dead these days, as the FCC quit issuing CB radio licenses back in the early 1980s. When CB died, so did most activity on 27 MHz except illegal high-power unlicensed operation and, as you said, the occasional trucker. I gave up on CB when I got my ham radio license in the early 1970s, and did not look back.

CB was getting out of hand by the late 1970s and '80s, so it did not surprise me one bit when I found out the FCC was no longer issuing CB licenses by, IIRC, 1983 or so. Of course, that did not stop people from using illegal linear amplifiers on 27 MHz; I can remember hearing many very strong CB radio signals on this band for years after the FCC ended the service.

I have only one thing to say for CB: Good riddance. This service may have been orderly and useful at one time, but unfortunately that time is long gone and is not coming back. Being an amateur radio operator (WB8NHV, since 1972), I have no use for 11 meters and never will. I believe, if it hasn't happened already, the sale of 2-way radio transceivers capable of transmitting on 27 MHz eventually will be illegal, as well it should be.

BTW, 27.185 MHz is just above what was CB channel 14, before the band was expanded to 40 channels (!).

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.

Last edited by Jeffhs; 08-22-2020 at 01:29 PM.