View Single Post
Old 05-22-2011, 05:57 PM
Tube bug got me 05/2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by vts1134 View Post
Looking at the schematics I see that both coils are 2200 ohms. If I meter on my yellow arrows am I correct in thinking that it should be 4400 ohms?
Not quite - the schematics show resistors in parallel with those coils, and those resistors are each 2200 ohms. (Look at the horizontal coils - there's no resistance marking/parallel resistor).

The only time you'd read ~4400 ohms is if both coils are open.
If you read ~2200, one coil is open.
If you read something closer to zero, then the coils are probably OK (but you can't infer anything about the state of those resistors - see my parallel resistance calculation in the previous post).

BTW, if you can see those two resistors sticking out of the yoke or anywhere on the chassis, it gives you some test points for your red/blue arrows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vts1134 View Post
The third question about the capacitor across the winding in the schematics I cannot answer. I didn't see that before you mentioned it. It says that it's 75mmf, but it's not listed in the part list. Could that also be located inside the yoke housing?
It's possible, but doubtful. The easiest way to find it is to carefully trace the entirety of that vertical deflection line which your arrows point to and try to locate it. If you can't find it, you can do a test to see if it's there- disconnect BOTH ground points at each end of the line, and apply a few volts (no more than 20) AC to the line. (it will float, since it's not grounded at either end).
Then, see if some AC appears on the chassis ground. If so, that capacitor is hiding somewhere and passing AC (or it might be shorted). If not, it's probably not there.

Also, look at the connections running in to the yoke - there should be 4, two for vertical, and two for horizontal. (You may see only 3 if the lower ground is directly accessible from the yoke.
If you see more/fewer, it may indicate additional components have been hidden... try to trace them on the schematic to find out what those wires do.
Audiokarma