View Single Post
Old 11-02-2012, 02:57 PM
<----Zenith C845

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_tech View Post
I'm confused... Orlando or Boston?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WBCN_%28FM%29

jr
I read the Wikipedia article on WBCN, and found that these call letters are in fact now in place in Boston on an all-digital (no longer OTA) station. The bumper sticker that is/was on Brandon's (lnx64) dresser drawer is now out of date. Because WBCN is now fully digital, it no longer broadcasts on 98.5 MHz, but is now on an HD subchannel of Boston's WBZ-FM and one other Boston station.

The station that was WBCN in Orlando is now WTKS, FM talk radio -- with an HD radio stream, as Brandon noted. If there is a link to WTKS's HD stream (as there may be and probably is on RadioStationWorld.com and also RadioLocator.com), it should be listenable on your computer as well, so one does not necessarily need an HD receiver to hear the digital stream. In fact, if you have your computer's sound card connected to a good stereo system, as I do, that station, and all others with Internet audio streams, will sound much better than they would if listened to on a standard HD receiver; those often have puny or at least smaller than average speakers. Of course, the best sound system on earth cannot compensate for poorly chosen music on any given station, and radio stations do change formats every now and again; in its early years, for example, WBCN in Boston was a classical station, its call sign standing for "Boston Concert Network". Wikipedia's article on the station has much more information on WBCN's history and current format.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.