View Single Post
Old 02-22-2018, 05:26 PM
VideoKarma Member

Strange Little Capacitors

Thanks for the advice on managing the CRT, especially the reminder to chassis-ground the aquadag. I'll also have to make a simple wooden cradle for the CRT to hold it steady and keep it from rocking back onto the neck.

I disassembled the tuner--that is, I took out the drum to access the caps and resistors. I could have skipped this step because even though some resistors are slightly outside the specs, I'm not going to replace them.

What's new to me is the capacitors used for wires going through the metal chassis into the tuner. I have a vague notion that the current passing the metal wall creates mysterious electromagnetic radiation which is suppressed by the mysterious capacitors. I took one apart, and I still can't see how they're constructed.

I'm asking about this because I need to know how to replace the one I destroyed--or it I need to replace it at all.

Also, while I'm here, I've been meaning to ask about this for years--what kind of capacitor is this little guy. It's 4.7pF (I wrote "27" because it's C27). My tester is only reliable down to about 10pF, so I never know what to do with them.

Thanks for the help,
Henry.