View Single Post
Old 02-16-2013, 07:33 AM
Looking For Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_tv_nut View Post
Nobody have an idea? I have to say I can't guess why.

Also hard to see exactly what the symtpom is ...Hard to tell if the white bleed is actually starting AFTER the first line of white letters and continuing onto following lines, or is across the whole first line as well as every line.
The symptom is on every line. I turned the brightness up a bit to accentuate the problem for this picture. When you are watching a normal scene the problem doesn't look this bad, but it is definitely there. White text on black background is the easiest way to show the problem.

Quote:
Can you do anything to the controls that changes it? If so, that might lead you to the section causing trouble.
The symptom doesn't change with any control setting. It becomes more visible as the brightness is turned up, but the ratio of brightness of the symptom to the text doesn't change.

Quote:
If you have spare tubes, I'd try changing IF, video amp, AGC, sync separator.

What set is this?
I'm almost positive that it isn't the IF. The picture above is using the entire set with an RF modulated DVD player, but I can bypass the IF stage completely with my B&K television analyst and the problem is still present. Unless the B&K is somehow causing the same problem in an unrelated way, it must be forward of the video detector.
There is no AGC in the set btw.

Quote:
What set is this?
This set is my 630ts. I don't know if it is apropos to this problem but the contrast control on this set seems more like an on/off switch. There is only three different settings- no video- weak contrast- good contrast. Other sets that I have are more of a gradual even ramping of the contrast level from no video to over driven. I've begun checking the resistors around that area and all are good so far.