View Single Post
Old 06-11-2008, 04:48 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffhs View Post
Come February 2009 the TV signals will be digital (analog will go off the air for good), but with over-air STBs (set-top boxes) and digital cable there is no real need to get a FP set unless you want one--again, at least for now. The day will come when every TV in the country will be a flat-panel high-definition set, but I don't see that day coming for quite some time (read decades) as there are far too many perfectly good analog CRT televisions in use at this time (millions).
Some people around here have got it in their head that their current TV will be worthless next year. The main reasons behind this thinking is a lack of understanding & sales people telling people a bunch of garbage in order to push a new HDTV off on them. I tell these people that they will only be effected if they use an antenna for reception. Many of these people are not aware of the converter boxes that are available and/or the converter box coupon program, even though PSA's are run all day and night on all TV stations. If you are on cable, the worse that will happen is that you'll have to rent a cable box if the cable company drops analog. That may present a problem over here, since I have seven TV's connected to cable. Paying rent on seven digital cable boxes might get expensive. I've heard that Comcast is going 100% digital sometime in 2008; but, it has not happened in my area yet.