View Single Post
Old 08-20-2011, 01:07 PM
VideoKarma Member

I'm working on it.

I apologize for my gaffe in failing the schematize the tube. I was going to do that, but that's where I would likely make an error in the schematic. I can figure out cathodes, heaters, plates, but I only have vague concepts of screens, grids, and bias. I give it a try, though. My hope was that we could assume that Phil's original diagram is accurate and see if my schematic matched his pin numbers.

For Reece, I like your method of tracing over the schematic. In fact, you can see below how I did that myself. If the adage is true, that "Great minds think alike," then you must have a truly staggering intellect.

The tube is new from AES, and I assume (I think I've made too many assumptions) it's OK. Unfortunately I misplaced my tube tester, but I might have just left it in my pants pocket, so I'll check through the laundry later. Sorry, I don't mean to be facetious. Earlier this week I visited my usual 1960s-era electronic supply with the tubes from the Atwater Kent 37 and neglected to bring the 117L. However, after testing the first five tubes "bad," Alan the proprietor said, "I think my tester's bad--not the tubes." I have one other place to try when it opens next week.

I've been trying to cultivate a supportive network, but this isn't exactly like Chicago. I drove 40 miles just to have Alan tell me his tube tester was bad. I met a guy who could help me with this stuff, and I was looking forward to working with him, but he didn't answer my last email some months ago. There's a VK member in my area, and he hasn't answered my email either. Is it my breath?

Well, I'm done venting. Thanks to everyone for the tolerant, patient assistance. I still have to digest teevee's comments, so I'll get to work sorting out the mysteries of the vacuum tube.
- Winky
Audiokarma