View Single Post
Old 01-07-2011, 12:24 AM
VideoKarma Member

When I was in college, I applied for a job with a guy who ran an arcade route and sold cabinets on eBay. He needed someone to cap monitors and do general board work for him. At the time, I couldn't solder and didn't know what a capacitor was, but I offered to learn and work for free if he'd just let me be around arcade cabinets on a regular basis. I did end up working with him for several months refinishing cabinets, doing conversions, packing up stock, etc., but never learning a thing about electronics (he couldn't teach me because he didn't really know anything about fixing them electronically, thus the reason he needed someone to cap boards for him). Then I made the mistake of dating his stepdaughter, we had a nasty break up, and I never saw him again as a result of wanting to stay away from her. Last I heard, he'd sold off everything he had and moved to Kansas. I still wonder how different my life might have been if I knew then what I know now about electronics. I might have made an actual living doing something I would have truly loved. Opportunity missed.