View Single Post
Old 10-02-2018, 01:10 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
I'd remove or replace those line to chassis caps if you plan to have that radio plugged in unattended for any length of time...They are time bombs at this point in their lives.

I'd try variacing it the chassis out of the cabinet and see if it smokes again and where...If it does not smoke look at all the wiring on the chassis and clock and see if anything could be moved by flexing or bumping into something during installation in a way that could cause a short. Magic smoke can come from anywhere so finding the general vicinity of the source is key to diagnosis.
How would I variac the radio out of the cabinet? I can't run the radio outside the cabinet because of how the interlock plug is made on this radio.

Also I had figured out that the diode I wired into the radio to replace the selenium rectifier shorted because I wired it in backwards unintentionally because I was wiring it up how it was on the selenium rectifier which had the cathode marked with a (+) sign which made me think it was the anode side because of how it was marked.

But the only thing is that when I replaced and properly wired in properly, there was no audio but the tubes were lit.

What would be going on?