View Single Post
Old 12-11-2003, 01:12 PM
<----Zenith C845

Zenith radio-phono

Terry,

Zenith chassis 8H20Z, IIRC, has AM and the modern FM band (the latter tuning 88-108 MHz). The earlier model, from '46, has the original 40-MHz FM broadcast band which is no longer used for broadcast purposes.

Once you recap this set you will have a really good one. Those older Zeniths were (and still are) excellent sets, being hand-wired and with very sensitive signal circuits, not to mention excellent sound quality (I have a 1963 Zenith K731 AM/FM table model radio in a walnut cabinet that looks and sounds like a console, only in a smaller cabinet; it works even better from a selectivity standpoint than the AM/FM tuner in my bookshelf stereo, probably because the Zenith's AFC can be disabled when necessary whereas the AFC circuits in my stereo's tuner cannot).

The combo units were very good as well, especially the ones with the famous (in its day) Cobra-Matic record changer. The Cobra-Matic was unique in that the turntable speed could be varied continuously from roughly 16 to 78+ RPM, thereby allowing for fine pitch and tempo adjustments--something one just cannot do with ordinary turntables and, of course, CD players.

The Cobra-Matic also had a built-in stroboscope, which allowed the user to set the turntable speed exactly to the speed at which the record being played had been recorded.

Good luck. When you get your set working at its best, you will have a unit you can enjoy for many years. IIRC, that RP console is housed in a very nice walnut wood cabinet, so it will make a handsome addition to your living room as well.

The 8H20Z chassis was also used in Zenith's three-way version of your set. The three-way system included a TV set with Zenith's famous Great Circle (aka porthole) screen. These sets weigh the proverbial ton, however, so be sure you have help when/if you try to move it.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.