View Single Post
Old 03-15-2014, 05:11 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakiri View Post
I've found that the whole key to getting in good with situations like this is to not be selective at all. For example, if you tell him, "I'll pay you $20 for any television that has tubes", you'll get the goods. Probably a lot of crap, but the less he has to think about it the easier it'll be to get the good stuff.

Problem is, you're gonna have to separate a lot of wheat from the chaff and shell out for sets that YOU would probably pass up at the curb. But typically these guys are so fearful of being taken advantage of that they'd sooner see a TV scrapped rather than saved, just so YOU didn't make a pile of cash that HE could have missed out on. Everyone fantasizes about that ultimate "pick", and it's that mentality that you're working against.

If you play it by the odds and just take every tube set he gets and pay him for it no matter what it is or what it looks like, you'll be golden. Start to cherry pick, and you might as well forget it.
Many fools can't even ballpark the age of a set. To them, TVs with tubes are TVs with picture tubes, if they don't mistake the CRT for a big, heavy light bulb that is. Some guy called into the store asking if we took TVs old enough to have tubes; the person who took the call knew of my interest and ok'd it. What did we end up with? A 1991 console. Anyone in a situation like mine can't pay for and haul off tons of crap to get what we want.