View Single Post
Old 11-23-2015, 11:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
No fraud issues there. So the set includes a bit 'extra' coverage...So what? It was not all that uncommon in the AM only days to include extra bandwidth in places it is not useful....Often it was because the cheapest tuning capacitor/coil combo they could get had a bit more range than needed. As long as it had the 'in use' part of the band I highly doubt anyone cared that it had anything extra....
If your car came with a sealed bottom and a propeller such that it could safely cross lakes, but other wise was a normal car, and they did not advertise that feature or sell you on it, would you not think that was cool or at least not a problem even if you never bothered to use it?
Yes, I'm aware of the "extra bandwidth" you speak of from the AM broadcast days, because the original AM Broadcast spectrum used to be the same as it is now (530-1710 kHz) prior to the 1940s then in the 1940s they dropped the AM Band spectrum from 530-1710 to 550-1620 kHz because they decided to reallocate 1630-1710 kHz to the Police and the 530-540 kHz to military use it wasn't until the 1980s that the AM Band was set back to 530-1710 kHz again by the FCC because of the advent of UHF and VHF Police radios. So actually no it has nothing to do with having access to parts that were too big and having to compensate for it by adding to the tuner dial, because if you think about it its kind of stupid and a waste of money to add an extra number to the radio dial that doesn't even exist to the radio you are making just because you got too big of a tuning capacitor, it only makes sense to put those "extra numbers" on the dial if they actually did exist at some point in time, again with the "cost saving" explanation, doesn't make sense. If anything it would cost more to use up extra ink to put on extra numbers onto a tuner dial being manufactured for a radio that was being manufactured with a tuning capacitor that was slightly larger than they needed, all they would of had to of done was just painted a couple of extra lines and that's it they wouldn't of needed to paint on the non-existing 109 MHz to save money. So like I said previously I'm sure at some point in time in Modern FM's history there was a 109 Mhz but it was probably very short lived (like Quadraphonic Stereo FM Broadcasts were).