View Single Post
Old 07-03-2002, 09:02 PM
Dead from the neck up

My old color sets

Here's what I have and am hoping to add to. I don't have a digital camera or a scanner yet, so I can't post pics. My problem is distance. My sets are still in Northeast Ohio and I'm living in Central OH.

1. Zenith 21" round color. Mine was made in the mid 60's possibly toward the end of the round screens. All filters were replaced and it has a decent picture. I don't remember the chassis number.

2. RCA CTC-16. This set needs a serious recap. On the 21FJP22, it gives a nice bright picture, but the CBS eye doesn't look quite right. The recap will fix this. I have two cabinets to choose from. The one I found it in is water damaged on top. The other (found empty) had a houseplant living on it at one time. Once the electronica are in order, I'll choose a cabinet. Also, the focus lead (pin 9) had at one time broken out of the CRT socket, so I need a new socket. This will be really nice once done.

3. Silvertone combo. This is a huge set, complete with round screen (21FJP22), AM/FM stereo and turntable. As found, the radio worked, but the TV smoked. The cause was a bad thermistor for the degausser, causing the varistor to smoke. I bypassed the degauss circuit, replaced a damaged wafer on the voltage doubler cap, several weak tubes and eventually, the CRT (I still have the old one.) It produces a nice pic, but since this also needs a recap, I play it seldom and never unattended. The turntable is toast. Someone tried to "fix" it and ruined it.

4. Sylvania D-01. This also got a new CRT on the get-go since in the old one, the blue and green heaters were open. This also needs recapped. I haven't played this set in years. It can be used as a floor model or a tabletop. The grill cloth was replaced. The VHF tuner was also replaced (that may not have been necessary because I was young and dumb).

5. RCA CTC-38. This was rescued before i moved and I haven't done anything with it. I did fire it up and got just a raster. This one will wait since round screens get priority.

As soon as I can get a camera, these sets will be posted. The ones in working condition will tuned in to my soap opera.

BTW: All sets seen here are really nice. Also, none of the 21FJP's have cataract problems.