View Single Post
Old 07-15-2002, 12:13 AM
VideoKarma Member

Has anyone here ever heard of this set. I received this email yesterday and have never heard of the set that the writer is describing.

Quote:
Do you ever come across a '56 Westinghouse color set with the 22EP22 rectangular tube? If so I'd like to buy one for my collection. Let me know. Thanks.
As I recall, the first rectangular color CRT was the 25AP22 circa 1967. Has anyone else heard of an earlier rectangular color CRT and, if so, why would RCA and so many others have continued to use round tubes well into the 1960's when there was a 22" rectangular tube available in 1956? The only explanation I can think of other than the possibility that the writer is incorrect about the year is that the 22EP22 was an experimental rectangular tube used in a field-test receiver that never made it into production because it was too far ahead of its time.

Although rectangular B/W tubes existed in the early 1950's, rectangular color tubes presented engineering challenges far beyond those of manufacturing a structurally-sound envelope. The existence of rectangular color tubes would have presented phenomenal challenges in dynamic convergence and pincushion correction.
Audiokarma