View Single Post
Old 06-14-2014, 02:07 AM
VideoKarma Member

Vintage TV Hoard

What a day! Got a line on the estate of a deceased collector coming up for sale locally. Some of you might remember my post on here in remembrance of a Mr. Vann of Sacramento; this was his estate. Visiting his house years ago I remember how he was what one might consider to be a TV hoarder. Narrow walkways through all the TVs in the living room and bedrooms overflowing with them. I had made an attempt to get in touch with the family by leaving a note on the door of the house to no avail.

An ad pops up on Craigslist Thursday "VINTAGE ELECTRONICS SALE!" Wow! I check it out and immediately recognize the contents as that of Mr. Vann's.

If anyone here has ever been to a proper estate sale (and I never have, this was my first time and I had a 'coach' with me) then you know what a stampede it can be when the gates open. I had about 30 tags with my initials ripped off and taped to my left arm ready to go, 4th in line. Doors open, fortunately everybody ran over to the audio equipment! I tagged about 20 electrostatic TV sets, an RCA projection and a Spartan mirror-lid, as well as a couple CRTs. My friend and I loaded up the trailer full of TVs and still have to go back tomorrow to look through a storage unit, which has even more TVs, CRTs, and camera tubes. Should be interesting.

Here's the fun:

Very exciting, and my head's still spinning. Nobody else there was interested in the TVs, though there was another buyer who ended up making out with a nice moderne Zenith Porthole and a petite 10" Admiral bakelite floor model.

Now, what to do with them? I don't know yet, but they didn't need to end up in the recycling truck.

Last edited by StellarTV; 06-14-2014 at 02:15 AM.