View Single Post
Old 07-05-2017, 11:20 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by init4fun View Post
I'll tell ya , I've collected old radios for a long time . Mostly Cathedrals but pretty much anything vacuum tube equipped . Never , ever , before have I seen a radio such as this , so tell me , have any of you ever seen one of these ?

This is a GE clock/radio that at a first glance didn't seem all that remarkable when I got it . As we all know GE used the "Musiphonic" name in the same way Philco used the "Transitone" name and I have seen dozens of GE Musiphonic radios over the years ...

But this ? No , this is no GE musiphonic , instead it's a "Musitherm" , yes that's right this clock/radio is specifically designed to be wired into your furnace and to provide a nighttime reduction in house temperature while you sleep . Yea sure I've seen programmable thermostats for years too , but never have I seen a freestanding clock/radio intended to be hardwired into an HVAC system . Tube lineup is the standard AA5 7 pin ; 50C5 35W4 12AV6 12BA6 12BE6 .

Any and all comments welcome
Never actually seen one, but I remember reading about it or seeing the schematic.
The T/S option was probably sold separately. The clock possibly had a set of "dry" contacts, that only worked on the alarm function. Can't quite make out the radio schematic.
The contacts are only rated for 10vac, 1amp, so you had to use a separate transformer. Most furnaces used a 24 vac control circuit, like today.
I don't think they were thinking about a milivolt system used in some furnaces of the day.
Audiokarma