View Single Post
Old 06-03-2018, 05:22 PM
M is for Memory

Smile CTC-5A acquired!...It wants to live.

First off a hardy thanks to Dave for giving me a very good deal/trade on this set.

Originally I only wanted the 21AXP22 from this set, but since Dave was okay with selling the whole set and I like the compact table model cabinet I ended up going for the whole thing.

My plan this morning was to variac it for a laugh (it has an 80's-90's antenna balun on it so I figure it was worth a try), then mercilessly remove the CRT and swap it into my MUCH rarer Motorola 21CT2B (which is more deserving of a 21AXP)...However, it is so close to working properly, that I've decided to delay the swap till I change some capacitors (hopefully that will be done later tonight)...I think it deserves a chance to show a relatively perfect pic at least once on its original CRT before I swap the tube over to the Moto.

The variac got me a raster (20KV HV right off the bat), then video with no synch, then playing with the internal slug and reducing blue screen got me a synched color picture albeit kind of a poor one. This is the oldest color set I've seen give me this good of a reaction to a variac power up in as found condition. I'm surprised and very happy that it has surpassed my expectations.

The original tuning knob was cracked, and I thought I had a replacement. It turns out I had 2, but neither is the exact same color as the original, but they are close enough to not bother anyone. It is interesting that RCA had so many shades of dark brown.

Oh, ya no with a chassis noomber like CTC-5A I'm surprised they didn't make it a Canada only chassis, Eh? Badum tiss.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4