View Single Post
Old 10-22-2018, 03:17 AM
VideoKarma Member

OK So my replacement capacitors came yesterday (Sunday) to replace the original Capacitive coupling circuit capacitors in the amplifier section of this receiver and I went to try and test the leads of the STK chips to try and find the one that was the bad one so I could remove it from the circuit so I could replace the the old one with my (hopefully non-counterfeit) STK Chip I ordered online the other day which should be arriving later today in the mail.

I noticed that this receiver doesn't seem to have any sort of ground that I can connect to with the negative lead for my DMM so I can test the old STK chips to find the bad chip (whenever I try to use what I think is a good grounding surface to connect to, the DMM doesn't give me any readings of any sort on any of the STK Chips all I get are "0.00" readings on both chips which I know isn't right because I know one of those chips is still good yet, so there shouldn't be a "0.00" reading on both of them, just one of them).

So where's the grounding point in this receiver? I'm asking because it doesn't seem to have any sort of grounding point in it (the metal chassis frame that the circuit board and the outside case panels attach to don't seem to attach to anything that can provide a ground surface, and there isn't anything else metallic in the receiver that's attaches to any sort of grounding surface either).

And All of my readings I was getting was done in Volts DC.
I also tried to do some resistance readings on the STK Chips as per Zeno's advice but the readings were all over the place and wouldn't settle down on one number, the values jumped from anywhere between 1.5kOhms to 15MOhms but it wouldn't settle down on any specific value in between those figures it would just keep jumping around.
As for the Voltage values went when I could get a reading from them (when I was able to get a ground connection for my negative lead for my multimeter) the values I got for the good pins were usually around -1.0 to -2.0 mV on some pins and some pins gave me about -4.0 mV, but the bad pins gave me 0.0 V readings.

Any ideas as to what's going on here?

Last edited by vortalexfan; 10-22-2018 at 03:20 AM.
Audiokarma