View Single Post
Old 07-28-2010, 07:31 AM
First Light: 1952-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeyurkon View Post
Actually I have a Canon Digital Rebel and I shot the images at 1/8 sec to make sure I had full frames. I tried turning the brightness down until it was nearly invisible, but the raster was still too bright in the photo with normal room light.
Did you also stop down the aperture? I shoot in aperture priority mode almost exclusively, so I can control how much light gets in. It can also help if you use the AE lock function (if equipped), or simply meter the shot on a different object before shooting. If you meter on the screen the rest of the frame will be dark, if you meter just below the screen the brightness of the sceen will wash out the frame. You're looking for something in between.

It can help if you put the camera into auto mode, look through the viewfinder, and see what it's using for settings on and off screen. For example if it gives you 1/8 sec@f/8 on the screen and 1/2 sec@f/2.4 off screen, try manually setting it for 1/4 sec@f/4 and see what happens. Play with it, eventually you'll get it right. here's a hint: backlighting the shot helps a lot.