Thread: Philco Ford
View Single Post
Old 04-10-2017, 01:09 PM
Motorola Minion

Ill second what Zenithfan said: I had a neighbor with a 1970 19" color hybrid that I worked on. Had I ever seen one at the curb I would have grabbed it. I saw the same set years earlier in a motel in Palm Springs. Not many Philco's seen in motels and I stayed in quite a few during the 1970s

The SS sets using the "BOSS chassis" Philco built prior to the 1974 sale to GTE had an RCA XL100 SCR sweep section and modules that plugged in using a Magnavox-style white plastic female side, just pins from chassis side. I saw a few and sold a console once. Cold solder connections were the main issues IIRC. Too bad this was the last one but GTE did good with teh Philco-only name but it was relegated to GTE's lower priced models.

A small rural shop I know sold Philco TV even after Philco took a NAP. I have an ad from 1987 showing a long-time Philco corner store in town still was moving them. Ad was a console model, likely NAP by then.

The "Ford" was in the name from 1967 to 1974, though Ford owned Philco since 1961 (?)

Last edited by DavGoodlin; 04-10-2017 at 08:00 PM. Reason: connector
Audiokarma