View Single Post
Old 09-25-2016, 10:26 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

Another note regarding the mismatch of re-inserted burst to chroma amplitude distorted by network transmission:

The two major US TV makers, Zenith and RCA, had different philosophies in this regard.
Zenith used the burst as automatic color level reference, as this took out the final transmission variations due to ghosts, airplane flutter, etc. However, this ignored the network distortions. RCA's auto color mode worked on the average chroma level of the picture. They felt this was an overall improvement, although it meant the color level could be affected adversely by overcompensating for scenes either with large areas of bright colors or with no saturated colors. The general public seemed to be accepting of these "subject errors." They bothered me, though, and I always preferred to run the RCA sets with auto color off for this reason. Unfortunately, this meant also losing RCA's superior auto hue ("tint") correction, which actually had been invented by a colleague of mine at Motorola and was licensed to RCA. It worked only on hues near flesh tone, and didn't destroy greens and purples the way other makers' auto tint did. Motorola, by the way, never used their own invention.