View Single Post
Old 03-23-2013, 09:12 AM
David Thomas

Yes, DaveGoodlin, Maytag quality was pretty much a memory by 2004. The Maytag plant in Newton, Iowa turned out the original Maytag washers (porcelon tub and cabinet, two-belt drive models). These were real machines; the internal components changed very little from the introduction of automatic washers in the 50's until the plant closed.

Maytag also owned the old Norge plant, which turned out a much cheaper machine that in no way resembled the real Maytag washers fron the Newton, Iowa plant. Often, these plastic tub machines were sold under the "Performa by Maytag" moniker. I think there at the end (when Maytag was grasping straws to try and stay in business) that just started selling both lines under the Maytag nameplate. When Whirlpool bought out Maytag, the first thing they done was to close down the Newton plant as they were only interested in the Maytag name so they could sell their low-end product at a premium price. The general public will pay more for a Maytag thinking it's still the same quality product it used to be back when Maytag was really Maytag.

Speed Queen is the last really well-built washing machine on the market today. They are a little hard-to-find these days as they mainly sell to mom-and-pop appliance stores. The big-box guys would have a hard time selling a plain looking model with a big price tag, even though it's worth the extra $$ to buy real quality. For instance, I live in Knoxville, TN (a decent sized town) and there are no Speed Queen dealers here or I would have considered one back when mine went south. The Speed Queen home laundry line is basically the same as their commercial laundrymat washers (minus the change machine).

So now I am using a $279 direct drive Admiral (made by Whirlpool). It's a cheap direct-drive noise maker, but it washes well and as long as it doesn't get overloaded, the direct drive plastic parts will usually hold up OK. For what I paid for it, I'll be happy if it passes the 5 year mark.
Audiokarma