View Single Post
Old 02-24-2019, 12:21 PM
VideoKarma Member

Antenna thoughts

Yesterday part of a large tree fell in my yard. It took down half of my G5RV antenna that I have been using for years. Now, I could repair or replace the wire on the antenna, but I am kicking around the thought of replacing it with a vertical. Now the problem, radials. I have so many tree roots in the lawn it woulld be impractical to burry radials. I have two possible locations. One would be low along a chain link fence at the back of the yard. The fence I think could help as somewhat of a radial, but the distance from the house may be a problem. I would have to trench the back yard and burry the coax. Again the roots will make that difficult. The other possibility, which I am leaning more to, is a small tower at the house with a vertical on it. It would need to be something that didn't need a lot of guy wires if any, and no buried radials. I have plenty of tower to use since the original plan was a small footprint beam antenna. Trees however are a problem with that at this time. What I am looking for is thoughts and recommendations on this project. I am interested in 10 through 40 meters. I rarely ever have used 80 meters, and really do not have the real estate for 160 meters. What are your thoughts and recommendations on this please.