View Single Post
Old 06-03-2014, 08:13 AM
VideoKarma Member

I had a couple of AWA 5 inch sets that were modded by a TV rental company for use as patient sets in a hospital. They removed the internal tranformer and rod antenna. 12VDC and the RF signal entered the set via a triaxial connector that was rigidly mounted on the little cart.

I figured this was done to in part to prevent theft (if they weren't bolted to something a little 5 inch sets are bound to go missing, at least back then) and also to prevent people watching them if they hadn't paid for the privilege. If you didn't pay the outboard power supply was turned off with a key switch. Removing the standard connectors meant you couldn't just plug them in to the outlet.

When I was last in hospital in 2010 the patient sets were still the same ceiling mounted 14" CRT sets that has been there since the early 90s. They were modified to be controlled by the mulitfunction handset that also controlled the lights and buzzer. Everyday some would come by to either collect the money or delete the channels from memory with a preprogrammed remote. If was stuck in there for longer and didn't have a laptop I'd have had someone bring me in a universal remote.