View Single Post
Old 05-12-2018, 04:13 PM
Electronics Accumulator

I know a genuine Magnetbox when I see one!

Got a call from a friend this morning telling me I needed to get over to a garage sale, because he'd found a really old console TV that he knew I'd want.

https://i.imgur.com/o3u558P.jpg

Yes. Yes I do. He knows me well.

Now, not that I specifically needed another long console, but it's so rare to find a round color set that I couldn't not grab this. Typical high quality Magnavox console cabinet construction, with the Astro-Sonic solid state stereo chassis and Micromatic record changer.

Haven't done anything with it, it's still in my van, and it's pouring down rain right now. I've also got a lot going on this week and next, so I don't know when I'll be able to look closely at it. Currently, it's totally unknown, I have not tried it, and the previous owners hadn't had it plugged in for decades, and have no memory of whether it worked or not. This thing had been in their living room since it was new, only brought down to the basement/garage for the sale. They said that they had gotten a new TV at some point, and that replaced this, but didn't remember if the new TV had been purchased because this one broke, or because they just got a newer TV.

So... here's where we speculate on how strong the picture tube is... no cataracts, so it has that going for it. Haven't even had the back off it, so I don't know if it's the original tube or if it's been replaced at some point.

I'll be sure to update this when I check it out.

-Ian