View Single Post
Old 10-16-2019, 10:04 AM
VideoKarma Member

The model A Fords were quite reliable for the time made but not by todays standards, or even 1950's standard.

The Ford V8, started in 1932? was a good design and they modified it thru the years. With regular oil changes they could go 100,000 miles "sometimes". The oil bath filters were not so great if you lived on a dirt road and Im sure shortened most of the engines lives with dirt (my opinion). You had to be religious about changing engine oil to make them last.

Most of the straight 8 engines were good as far as lasting and Hudson made that 6 cylinder (I think 6) with a factory 2 carburetors that could blow most cars away in a race. They were durable.

I think a lot of the cars and motors were only as good as the owners were with mainanence of the car.

I dont think seat belts attached to seats would be very good in an accident but possibly better than nothing. the G force of your body would pull the belt's attaching point off of many seats. Or a side collision could strangle your waist if things got bent. the ones Ive added attached to the floor behind the seat.

In the 1980s there was an elderly racer who came out of retirement at my local stock car races. he used one of those Hudsons i already mentioned and routinely won the races against modern cars and engines. Beefed up 350 Chevy's mostly. it was fun to watch. There was a Buick straight 8 in those races too who i dont remember winning but if he bumped another car they flew off the track pretty quick, lol That car was heavy.

What would I like to see in modern cars? Vent windows. Ford quit it in 1996 on their trucks, unsure with cars. its nice to open a window without that loud sucking sound without one. If I ever get a modern truck it will be something I will have to modify and Ive heard it can be done. Fins on pickups are something else that was never really done except on Rancheros but Ive been waiting for someone to try it. Add some class to the ugly box trucks now. I agree about hood ornaments too.