Thread: P & M session
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2018, 09:07 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon A. View Post
I assume the engine shutdown feature is exclusive to hybrids. I like things mechanically, electronically and even aesthetically simple so stuff like that doesn't appeal to me, and may even make me feel rather uneasy. I'm the type who would not only insist on a manual transmission, I would probably back it with a four-speed auxiliary given the opportunity. I reckon double low gear would make traffic jams a lot easier to handle.

The only newer technology I've been spoiled by is DVD players and LCD monitors. When I got a laptop in '05 and saw how clear the display was compared to my 17" ViewSonic CRT I was like, whoa. I was reluctant to give up my first-gen Mac G3 but it barely ran and Win XP grew on me anyway. I still used CRTs on desktops for some time after that but gradually gave that up.
My 2006 Jeep Wrangler has a six speed manual transmission that seems to have a real low first gear. When driving it, I also shift through all the gears, instead of starting out in a higher gear, which is harder on the clutch.
Regarding the engine cut-off feature, there's is some gasoline-only cars out there that have it. I believe it's not a good system.
The Prius' design doesn't use an alternator or a starter. Everything is done by the traction motor and the invertor system.
There's a theory of operation found on the internet.