View Single Post
Old 06-13-2005, 06:43 AM
AK Member

Jeff, It came with about the same changer as the later ones, the mounting holes lined up so I didn't have to do any cutting of the motorboard. The original changer used an Electro-Voice 26 ceramic cartridge which tracks at about 8-10 grams, it sounds good but it's murder on the vinyl. I dropped in a double idler Micro-Matic that uses the Astatic 195d and it tracks at 2 grams. Magnavox stuck with ceramic cartridges until almost the end of the era. I've got a '76 Magnavox Concert Grand that I bought new when I was working for a Magnavox Dealer and it uses the later Micro-matic with a single idler and the changer is driven from the center of the turntable instead of it's own idler direct to the motor, it also has a magnetic cartridge. I've seen a couple of the tubed sets on ebay in the last few years and I've also seen someone selling all the components out of one (shame). The fellow I bought the tubed set from gave me the original sales receipt dated 1961....$1500, that was a chunk-o-change 44 years ago....