View Single Post
Old 02-18-2013, 11:51 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith26kc20 View Post
If I remember right, in the secondary circuit of the horizontal driver transformer, there is a resistor (1.5 ohms) and a small 15 volt electrolytic capacitor. Like the vertical chassis Zenith's, the cap drys out and the resistor burns removing a good deal of drive from the HOT. First sign of this is a foldover and a hot running HOT. Then a shorted HOT. I would always change those parts if they were original to prevent a headache. Also, but rare, a five watt resistor feeding the horizontal driver stage will open.
Looking at the flyback pictures, it looks like when the tripler was changed in the past the wre broke off the flyback and had to be resolded on. The flybacks, when failed, most the time developed a "hump" around the high voltage winding. That one looks good from the photos.
How do you tell a new tripler from the pictures? Easy! No silicone seal on the connections to prevent corona on any sharp bits to act as discharge points from the wiring.
And that set is HEAVY!!!! We called them 'Black Tops!" They always were upstairs which ment alot of cursing or FIX IT THERE!
I will have to check the schematic to see where these components are. If they are damaged, are they externally visible or internal?