View Single Post
Old 03-23-2015, 02:51 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
Thanks for the info. Me and a friend leaned up the fuel mixture last Friday, checked the idle speed (fast idle is good, slow idle where it tends to run rough is at the upper end of the tolerance range), and checked the timing (it looks right, but it is hard to tell for certain since only the TDC mark is still readily readable).

I don't think I have time to do a full rebuild with college in session, and even if I can find the time I want to make sure I can afford and source a rebuilt carb before I try, so that if I screw it up I have a fallback option ready.

I'll try to get to checking that intake/exhaust valve when I can.

The coolant is a bit low so I'm going to try and get some this evening to top it off.
One thing you may want to consider, is a self serve wrecking yard. You could get a used carb for pennies on the dollar, and take it apart/use it as a backup/rebuild it. Make sure to change the fuel filter when you do any work on the carb, just to be sure.

It shouldn't really be too hard to take it apart and do a rebuild, once you have a complete rebuild kit, and have read the carb's manual inside out and backwards. I wouldn't attempt it just based on the sheet which comes in the rebuilt kit's box, better to find complete rebuild instructions as a PDF from Ford somewhere and follow them exactly. Then when you install the new carb pay a lot of attention to all the hoses, and gaskets, etc. An air leak can cause all sorts of issues which are hard to troubleshoot, so any doubtful vacuum lines should be promptly replaced.

I am really starting to want an old domestic car thanks to this thread! Detroit iron is special!