View Single Post
Old 03-08-2011, 07:02 PM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks everyone for the help... I hope it is only "minor damage" done. I should have thought more into it, this is the first time I've worked with vintage televisions. I've worked a little with AA5's, but no power supplies in those. I have not yet given up hope, I will still tear it apart and replace the paper caps, and see what happens. Any more suggestions? I'd also like to add that I poped a cap while adjusting the horizontal control, but I am positive this has nothing to do with it smoking, that was when I first plugged it in, and It only smelled a little, no smoke.

I'd also like to say that it has been in the basement since the mid 60's, not powered on since the 70's, and we have had multiple floods of the cellar. I'd imagine the components would be up high enough to not be damaged, but water might be shorting it out... but the loud speaker which is lower than that still works fine. I was told to run a hair-dryer on it, but I want to ask you guys first. Thanks again!

And the smoke wasn't billowing, but I know I wasn't imagining it. It was light and thin, and I pulled the cord ASAP. It almost sounded like water drops hitting a hot stove, sizziling. The box I was calling the power supply is probably the high voltage cage, please excuse the ignorance in names. It had a high voltage warning to the service man and a warning about the picture tube.
Audiokarma