View Single Post
Old 08-02-2018, 11:54 AM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sealtest View Post
"Ever had a set where the horizontal sweep circuit was dead?". Kinda in a way. I see many familiar people here from the thread I have on the RCA tubed set. Would there be a reason to use a unit to power the flyback when the RCA set kinda works? I get that strained whine from the RCA but it would be kinda cool to have the screen show some raster again. Any questions regarding hooking it up should be looked up in the manual to not waste anyones time on a beginner. This RCA has been a pain for over a year (it gets a couple hours of attention every day).
Oh, you've got that RCA that goes for a bit then fades to dark...Yeah this could be a good place to use the B&K. I'd start with plate drive and if that keeps the set on 30% past it's normal fade time it tells you the fade is in the osc. or output. Alls you have to do (assuming the TV has transformer isolation) is connect B&K ground to chassis ground, unhook the top lead of the TV H output tube, connect the B&K plate drive lead to the plate lead to the flyback that you just unplugged from the H out tube and IIRC set the B&K plate drive knob to Horizontal plate drive position.
Best to start the B&K in standby mode 2-5 min before the TV then turn the B&K fully on at close to or the same time as the TV. If the TV does not give raster at all with the B&K you've either made a mistake, the B&K needs new capacitors, or the set can be added to the two chassis (1972 Sylvania D16 and 1958 GE 14T series portables) I know of that won't work let the B&K H plate drive them.

If you get raster but don't get fade with H plate drive from the B&K (undo the plate drive set up then) pull the TVs osc tube, ground the TV to the B&K and connect the B&K H grid drive to the grid of the H out tube on the TV. On power up keep the room dim and if the H output tube plate starts to glow or raster is not coming up after a reasonable warm-up time power the TV off immediately. Follow the same B&K first power up procedure as described above in plate drive. If the TV does not give raster results are inconclusive, if the raster is constant TV osc needs work, if raster fades same as using TV's internal grid drive then H output stage is at fault.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4

Last edited by Electronic M; 08-02-2018 at 12:01 PM.
Audiokarma