Thread: 1080i vs. 720p
View Single Post
Old 06-23-2017, 10:48 AM
M is for Memory

Here last summer they switched off ~70 analog channels, and replaced it with this encrypted QAM BS. The get a box analog lasted till winter. Now all that is left is encrypted QAM, a FEW locals on ATSC or clear QAM (I forget which) And 1-2 garbage unencrypted QAM channels.

I had at least 4 DVR/DVD-recorders/S-VHS decks hooked to analog cable and could tune, watch and or record 4-10 shows at once on the rig in my room, and I could have my time shifts change channel to grab various shows (important, especially on long vacations)....Now I've got 1 maybe 2-3 channels (if I heist boxes from other rooms) at once, at best, with the same gear (and no way for the timers to change channels) unless I engineer some super complex IR remote based automation project. I would not mind half as much If the basterds did not encrypt their service...I was prepared to get plenty of clear QAM decoder boxes and 'make my own analog cable', and or get some more QAM tuner sticks for my PC and use those as tuner/DVRs....If that ain't enough to burn my ass already the jerks at scrotum cable think in under 1 year they are gunna get away with charging $6 a month a head rent on those 5 "free" hockey phuck boxes....I think I'll we'll end up switching to playstationVue or some combination of that Hulu, Roku, streaming....Their shyte is expensive enough as it is, and they have the gall to change up the hardware to serve me worse, and charge me more for it?...They might do better to simply ask us nicely to leave.

I'm smarter than every scrotum employee whom I've met or who's decisions have affected my service.....Literally I had to explain to the first tech how to run the damn coax he was installing through the walls/vents, that clown did not install an amp as I was sure we needed, and the next installer who came to fix internet/phone dropouts realized the amp was needed to fix that....Two weeks back I had to climb the damn pole....All the little phuck boxes were not getting signal and the big box was lousy (phone &net somehow were okay), with no analog relative signal strength was hard to judge....I first checked the 'splices' on the underground cable that mom's gardening brought back to the surface to find they were fine...checking the amp etc proved things so I went up to try to bypass the line before the splice....When I went up there I found our fitting at the spliter* during a recent replacement of the splitter had been over tightened till the threaded collar on the F connector cracked off the connector...Leaving ONLY the center lead of the coax just barely coupling signal between us and the cable co... :grr: It was not too hard to change the fitting, and I did it safely (a 2 phase 120V + cable pole ain't too dangerous), but having to do it at all ticks me off (once the problem was discovered it was either miss my shows and let them do it or DIY fix and watch my shows).
*There are 2 taps on the proper outdoor cable co hardware on my pole and 3 homes using it...So some enterprising cable guy added a second consumer grade spliter in series with the telco grade one on the pole to add an extra tap....Yeesh!

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4