View Single Post
Old 04-05-2023, 10:27 AM
VideoKarma Member

Well I just started working on the PV-1650 VCR the other day and I replaced all of the Belts and had the play idler rebuilt by Gary over at the Voice of Music Enthusiasts and the VCR is still having issues with not wanting to play a tape after loading the tape up to the heads.

I have a copy of the Factory Service Manual from Panasonic that I got from Sam's which they sent me that because they didn't have their own service manual for the PV-1650 uploaded into their server database and that manual was very helpful (a lot more helpful than the Sam's Photofact manual for the PV-1750 was).

I figured out that there is a board that specifically drives/controls the loading and playback mechanism of the VCR (more or less the logic board for the VCR that controls whether the VCR mechanism plays, rewinds, fast-forwards, pauses, etc.) and so I removed that board from the VCR and looked it over and sure enough basically every single capacitor on that board was bad (either dead or had an ESR measurement of 2 Ohms or higher) and was also leaking electrolyte.

So I'm working on recapping that logic board so I can see if that will fix the VCR so it will play again.

Hopefully I'll have an update soon that will be a positive update where the VCR is working again (or at least mostly working again.)