View Single Post
Old 06-12-2018, 10:36 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benman94 View Post
I don't think the set has "fallen from grace". I know a collector who just spent $600 on one, and another one sold on an auction for $550 or so recently.

I just happened to nab this one for $220 (well, $298 after taxes and the buyer's premium) because the eBay live auctions feature was glitchy. The ONLY reason I won it for that price is because I had bid well in advance, otherwise I would have missed out on it too.

Now why aren't they bringing pre-2008 levels anymore? Well, it's 2018! It will be a long, long time before you see the really high levels of decades past. The market for collectibles is still very sluggish.

The other, larger reason, is that the 621TS just isn't a rare set. There were 17,000 built by most estimates. Imagine that only 0.5% of all 621TS sets built survive today. That's 85 sets. Now imagine a more realistic number, say 4% of all sets built. That's 680 sets floating around out there. There are enough of these sets around for any collector that seriously wants one to have one. Supply and demand has to count for something...
No doubt eBay has revealed the true availability of antiques of all kinds which typically has devalued many once pricey items. All in all, a clean and complete 621TS is still not terribly easy to find though. In that light it's hard to understand why say a nice, complete, and working Pilot Radio TV-37 will bring $350+ when there's typically one or more available on the Net on any given day. Heck, even Zenith "Waltons" and Sparton "Bluebirds" seem plentiful, but still get well into four figures very easily.