Thread: House Fire
View Single Post
Old 04-22-2017, 08:28 PM
VideoKarma Member

Well things are making some progress. The house is pretty much gutted now. All the sheet rock is down and the walls and ceiling are down to bare studs. They have removed the top layer of subfloor, and in some places all the subfloor. I was told last week that they would start tearing the roof off this next week since some of the decking was scorched it will have to be replaced. In fact any wood that is scorched will have to be replaced. The house will have to be rewired to bring it up to 2017 code. Anything that is not up to code with the structure will have to be replaced or repaired before new sheet rock can go up. The insurance company has leased a house just 4 doors up the street for us to live in while our house is being rebuilt. Yes some vintage electronics were lost. Also lost was my Grimwood brothers phonograph, along with all my test equipment, parts inventory, and about 12 file cabinets of factory service information. I did save the Sams sets, including my duplicates. All my hand tools will have to be replaced. That should make sears happy. I saved a lot of the vintage electronics simply since most were unrestored anyway, and they do not use circuit boards. I did loose a Predicta, RCA 45 record player, most of my small tv collection, a Capehart record player, Magnavox astrosonic stereo, Zenith console stereo, 1970 Zenith color tv, an Ediphone, and a Zenith cobramatic record player. I am sure there is more. I do miss my cats, they can not be replaced. On the plus side, if there is one, I will have a totally new house, and all new furniture and appliances and fixtures. I will have another new heat and air unit to replace the one I just had installed in December, and a new roof. Not exactly how we intended to remodel the house, but whatever works.