View Single Post
Old 09-24-2014, 04:14 PM
Followin' the Rules...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
I recall hearing that some of the betacams had issues with the surface mount lytics going bad and leaking electrolite that would corrode the board traces. If that was also an issue with the early 8MM units then you may want to address it quickly.
I replaced over 80 SMD lytics in my CCD-F series 8mm machine I bought in 1995 - and used about 2 feet of wirewrap wire replacing the runs they corroded. It still has problems in the first 2 or 3 seconds of recording, but settles down and records fine.

A set of calipers (for measuring the size of the old caps to order new ones), a bit of 90% isopropyl to clean things up, and a Digi-Key Catalog, and I had my caps ordered - Panasonics - 22 dollars in all. Then, pull out the caps and replace them one at a time using a low wattage iron, and if there is any corrosion, trace out the runs to ensure you have continuity. I had about 8-10 bad runs. Wirewrap wire worked well in threading the wire around parts and under some. Take plenty of pictures when you are disassembling - helps greatly in reassembling things. Good luck!
Audiokarma