View Single Post
Old 10-29-2023, 10:38 PM
VideoKarma Member

1970 Sony AM/FM Clock Radio Model TFM-C770W Issues

Greetings everyone, I just acquired today a long sought after clock radio, A Sony Digimatic Clock Radio (the old flip-dial style clock radio), which I had been looking out for one of these for a long time, I actually had one for a while that I found at a local Goodwill store that was still a fully functioning unit (including the clock mechanism) but then the alarm mechanism started acting up (it would go off when it wasn't even set to go off) and so a friend of my old house mate told me he could fix it for me (that was before I had a lot of experience with working on solid state circuitry) but then I never heard back from my former house mate's friend ever again and never saw the clock radio ever again, so I had been on the lookout for another flip-dial clock, and I did finally find one today at an antique shop up in Niles, Michigan which is about 35 minutes northwest of me, and I got it for $30 (which is a bargain because for some reason there are some people on feebay who seem to think that these old Sony Digimatics are worth a ton of money and are trying to sell them for $300-$500.)

Anyways the one I acquired was one of those Blacklight models with the date, day and time readout, but unfortunately the motor was seized up on it and it uses an Omron made Telechron Style rotor to power the clock mechanism and I tried to see if I could free up the rotor but unfortunately the plastic gears inside the rotor module had warped over time and so now the rotor refuses to work period.

My question is, is there a source out there for a new rotor for these old Sony Digimatics and if so, where did you get them? If not, what kind of motor did you use or adapt to make the clock mechanism work again?

I did go to the Telechron enthusiasts website (telechronclock.com) and sent the guy there an email to see if he could rebuild the rotor in question since it is technically a Telechron rotor but was built by another company via liscensing rights from Telechron.

Thanks for your help.

See picture below to see what the clock radio in question looks like.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1_e2a6ba0132db22f0514378a87a949f1e.jpg (22.9 KB, 34 views)