View Single Post
Old 12-09-2023, 11:29 PM
Retired Batwings Tech

No. What Sony did was made all the machines capable of BI/II/III playback but after the SL-8200 series record was BI/II only. Looking at the date on that tape you posted I'd bet it was recorded on a SuperBeta HiFi deck and those run a higher FM deviation thus making the streaks & grain on a lower end deck.
Your SL-100 is a first gen SuperBeta machine and should have no problem with the playback so what I'm suspecting is either a physical issue with the tape itself be it shedding or a close encounter with a strong magnet at some point or the original deck had some issue with the record current.
I've been poking around on this whole sticky shed thing and yes there was a change in the adhesive binder during the 1980's due to some perceived environmental issue, the details are somewhat sketchy (read BS) but it was urethane based and susceptible to moisture intrusion over time. ME tapes are a direct deposition and not suseptable to this however the mylar itself will break down over time causing the tape itself to flake.
As for the "SuperBeta" switch itself the deck should auto select based on the deviation it sees, my Sanyo VCR-7250 auto selects on its own based on carrier detection (when it decides to work at all).
FYI the Sony SL-7200 was a B-I only deck with the capstan driven off a common synchronous AC motor while the SL-8200 was the B-I & B-II using a DC servo motor to drive the capstan. I had both in my youth and despite being big & clunky they were great for a then 15 year-old. The 7200 survives... somewhere around here.

Last edited by ARC Tech-109; 12-09-2023 at 11:40 PM. Reason: typoz