View Single Post
Old 03-19-2006, 08:35 AM
TeeVee collector

I have this Betamax SLC-20E from about 1984. Itīs just a cheap model, but it is a very solid construction which weighs about 15 kilos. The only plastic part of the chassis is the front panel. The previous owner had it in use for less than 10 years and did not use it much. It plays back pretty good, but does not record very well. Of course i have cleaned the heads, but it does not help. I tried to do some adjustments to it but that did not help either. I know it has been better than now because the recordings on some of the cassettes i got with it are better. Should i try to recap it?

I also have a Sanyo Betacord VTC5000 fron the early 80s, but that is pretty beaten up. The (plastic) chassis is broken in two, the front panel is missing, the heads are worn down, the picture is nothing much to talk about, but it works. When it dies, i am going to thrash it. I found it at the dump.

When it comes to VHS i have a Panasonic NV-G40 HQ from 1988 which is in good condition, but i suspect the heads is nearing the end of their lifetime. It is pretty much used, but the picture is still chrystal clear. On a good tape the still and slow motion picture is perfect, and there is a own tracking control for slow motion. The timer can be programmed with a bar code scanner; it is cool, but i think this is mostly a "gimmick". I use this VCR with my 1984 Philips TV.

Last edited by larschr; 03-13-2009 at 08:53 AM.