View Single Post
Old 04-14-2015, 12:25 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Findm-Keepm View Post
+1 - I used to degauss computer monitors aboard ship with a Weller 8200 Soldering gun. For the 19" Zenith we had in the office, we had to use a degaussing coil. You can make your own - 22 gauge wire, 34 turns in a 12-13" diameter coil. I put a momentary rocker switch in mine - others use a plain rocker switch. Wrap the whole thing up in electrical tape, wire the switch in series with the coil, adding a 8' power cord. We extended our cord - sometimes when using in a customer's home, the nearest outlet was 1-2 feet beyond the cord length.

Where to get the wire? Junked BPC sets. Look for copper wire - aluminum wire heats up, and you don't want hot wire in your hands. If the connections to the coil are soldered, it's copper - for aluminum, they used crimps.

Cheers,
And to think, I just scrapped several from junk sets I scrapped out. I have a switch somewhere as well but not sure what type. Only iron I have right now is a $7 cheapo from Wal-Mart. need to upgrade on that soon. I wonder how many sets I'd have to tear down in order to have enough wire.
Audiokarma