Thread: Got the fever
View Single Post
Old 02-08-2012, 07:49 AM
VideoKarma Member

rectangle TV would be the right forum.

Those are neat old sets, fun to watch old movies on. IMHO it would be a mistake to hack it up to install "modern" equipment. They are easy to fix, and make a nice pic when done (many good shows are in B&W anyway).

I am assuming its an astrosonic tuner based on your description, again easy to fix prob just needs a few of the low volt PC mounted electrolytic caps be replaced.

The TV is very basic and also easy to work on. Most likely a open or shorted doubler cap in the power supply. Again an easy fix. Your best bet would be to seek out some local help from someone that has worked on old stuff. Tubes are cheap for that set (nothing special used).

It would prob be a good idea to check the CRT, but I would bet its ok, and even if it "test" weak, It may still produce a decent pic. avoid any attempts to rejuv the CRT if that is suggested.

the only other hard to find part is the flyback transformer, but again even if it looks bad (melted black goo in the cage) it prob is fine, I have a couple of those and the flyback looks terrible but works just fine.