Thread: Motorola 17K3A
View Single Post
Old 05-15-2009, 04:09 PM
AK Member

Motorola 17K3A

Long time listener, first time caller.

I usually lurk over in the audio threads, but I would love some help from you vintage TV gurus. Twenty or so years ago I bought a Motorola 17k3A at an estate sale for the cabinet, which I hoped to convert to ...don't remember what!! A friend with a van helped me get it home, and insisted we plug it in and try it out. I told him I only bought it for the cabinet, but he insisted. Luckily, I am something of a packrat, and actually found an AC cord that was a perfect match. As you probably guessed, it worked. The back had sort of a "joystick" that let you aim the gun at the front of the tube. ( A new one on me.)

For several years, we hooked a vcr to it to make it "cable ready" and would watch the Red Wings game every New Years Eve. It was kind of a hokey tradition, but a novelty for the guys while the wives stayed upstairs.

One year, there was a flash in the back and the picture went haywire. A neighbor who used to work on old electronics said it was a "blah blah blah" tube. I never did anything about it and he moved away. Now I don't even know where there is a tube tester. I remember when I was a kid, every corner drug store had one.

If his diagnosis was right, all I need is a tube. The cabinet is scratched up (on top especially). What info do any of you have on this? Google returned no results. I would like to sell it, probably on Craigslist, but have no idea how much to ask?

Sorry for being so verbose, and thanks in advance for any help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0078.jpg (54.5 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0079.jpg (66.4 KB, 24 views)