View Single Post
Old 02-08-2016, 08:17 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Nelson View Post
Interesting. Can you give more details about your tuner (what was wrong, what you did to improve it)?

http://antiqueradio.org/index.html
Well as received the tuner was vexing- it passed the color bars and dots etc. fine BUT was blind and deaf to actual video. For a week or so I failed to read your article and didn't know about the 16 volt video injection thing- results on-screen were muddy from injecting the standard 8 volts, assumed I needed a brightener. Meanwhile I was in the queue here to join. FINALLY I stopped procrastinating and demounted the tuner this past weekend. I took a thin test tube brush and denatured alcohol to the contacts, let them dry and squirted the contact disks sparingly with DeOxit. I also checked the resistors in there. Quite a bit of work getting the cover back into shape- it had been bent up by folks not wanting to take it off. Thanks to the article I did it the right way and suddenly had way too much signal- I still haven't throttled the Blonder Tongue modulator back enough yet.

Thanks everyone, Old Coot especially. He helped me get hooked on this with my first TV, a Crosley from the 2002 AWA Rochester meet which I still have.

John H.
Audiokarma