View Single Post
Old 06-21-2015, 10:13 PM
VideoKarma Member

1980 Realistic clock radio

While perhaps not as interesting as my 1973 GE digital clock radio I posted about a few years ago with the old style plug in vfd tubes, I picked this up as I was hoping to use the GE as a desk radio, and get another one for the bedroom. But this still uses a blue vfd display which I think is better looking than the red led ones. It also has stereo FM and displays the date as well as the time.

This initially had very little sound out of the left speaker. The problem turned out to be 2 bad electrolytic coupling capacitors. Having the schematic glued to the bottom so I didn't have to go looking for one was nice, but it was in such small print I needed to get out a magnifying glass in order to read the part numbers on it. The radio dial light was also out. It was an unusually shaped light, but I had one I believe was part of a kit to replace all the bulbs in a Marantz receiver that I had only used part of, that was nearly a perfect fit.

The hard part of repairing this was those two aluminum pieces on the sides. They just glue over the plastic case, but were pretty banged up on both sides. One side I managed to get back into shape easily, but I wound up needing to use a little bondo on the other. Then I still needed to paint both pieces silver, so they would look the same.

Last edited by Adam; 05-14-2016 at 02:33 AM.