View Single Post
Old 11-06-2018, 02:30 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telecolor 3007 View Post
I will take a rewinder too; and a splicer. But I need reals. I don't have soundies. And I do still not have an projector.
But when they stoped producing soundies? It was nice anyway that you could see your favourite music clips if they didn't show them on tv. But did they ever made colour soundies?
I'm curios when they did the last rentals of 16 m.m. film.
You can actually still rent 16mm movies from a few different libraries. They stopped making them for the most part in the mid 2000s. Most people stopped using them gradually as VCRs took over, I think the last projectors were made around ten years ago.

There's a guy in Italy who provides a service of copying digital files to 16mm. A lot of people in the film collecting community this service it to replace lost frames or scenes in damaged films. You could probably do a whole move if you want too, but a two hour movie would be in the $1500 USD range.

Colour was around since the 1930s, but was often not used due to cost. I haven't got any colour soundies, but that's sure not to say they don't exist, I am sure they do.

Main issue with 16mm soundies is simply sound quality - they have the same basic specs as a 78RPM record, roughly 100 - 5000 Hz, with a signal to noise ratio of optimistically 40dB. Many projectors do a bad job of isolating the intermittent mechanism from the sound drum, so they also have a ton of wow and flutter. Anyone who went to school when they still used 16mm probably remembers the way they sounded.

Last edited by maxhifi; 11-06-2018 at 02:34 PM.