Thread: Philco 16/16b
View Single Post
Old 06-21-2017, 01:26 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
I've had a set work with it's original block caps....Albeit with terrible distortion, which changing those caps cured.

Paper caps are paper caps, even the best eventually fail. I'd bring a set with original block caps up on a variac any day, but I would not make it a regular player till those caps are re-stuffed.
Amen to that. At first I took the "wait and see" approach to the chocolate blocks, but after two of them failed during bench testing, I just restuffed them all. As you and others mentioned, it was super easy to do and the end result looks factory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean View Post
For the grille cloth I used the Whiskey Rayon pattern sold by Richmond Designs. I thought he used to sell a smaller size than 18x24 but maybe that is what I had bought.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/182622096389
I used a similar, but slightly different, pattern from Richmond Designs on my restoration. I ended up with a ton of leftover grill cloth as well, but I don't see that as a problem!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boobtubeman View Post

Ive used the faucet washers to hold the tuning gang in place before

SR
You'd be amazed by the sheer amount of repro parts out there for these radios. I was able to find repro tuner grommets for mine, as well as a new frame for the grill cloth and a knob for the tone control. I think you can even buy a whole cabinet if yours is too far gone...